While you may not see, smell, or feel radon, you may still be exposed to it. Radon is an invisible and odorless gas that comes from the natural breakdown of radioactive metals (like radium and uranium) in the soil or groundwater. Living in a house with high levels of radon increases your risks of developing lung cancer. This is why having your home tested is essential to protect you and your family.
It’s important to note that every property will have radon in it, so testing is the only way to find out the levels. While there’s no safe level for this gas, EPA suggests treating houses with radon levels of 4pCi/L or more. You can do the testing on your own or get the services of a radon testing company. If the results are high, fixing the home is of utmost importance.
Radon testing experts in Utah note that levels below 4pCi/L are not completely safe. It may still pose risks, so it’s best to make extra efforts in reducing it:
Here are a few ways to reduce radon levels:
- Increase airflow at home or promote natural ventilation. This means using vents and fans to circulate air, as well as opening windows.
- If you or a family member smokes, it’s best to quit or discourage the habit. This is because smoking increases the risks of developing lung cancer from radon.
- If you’re buying or building a house, be sure to inquire about construction techniques that can resist radon. You should also test a property for radon before buying or moving in it.
- Find ways or ask contractors for fixing radon problems. This may also include caulking or sealing cracks in walls and floors.
- You may use a home pressurization system to blow air the in the room, creating ample pressure to prevent the gas from entering your house.
Don’t let radon compromise your family’s health. Be sure to have your home tested and take other measures for reducing radon levels.